As part of our Green Impact activities this year, we've been exploring the range of ways in which our university supports staff and students to use sustainable means of transport to get to work.
• The bicycle loan scheme;
• The interest-free travel loan scheme for bus/train passes;
• The https://www.easit.org.uk/ Easit card which offers 15% off rail travel, discounts in local cycle shops and many other sustainable travel benefits;
• The email network for Oxford University student and staff cyclists. It's an informal low-volume email list to support bicycle users in the University and colleges. To subscribe, send an (empty) message to: email@example.com;
• The mobile mechanic service;
• Bike events such as Bike Oxford http://www.bikeoxford.co.uk/
• The car-sharing scheme;
We also asked our team what they've used, and here's what we found out:
"The Easit card gives me a 15% discount on my travel. This resulted in a saving of £110 for my current annual season rail ticket, which really is amazing and very helpful! The University also offers a Season Ticket Loan Scheme – an interest-free loan for the purchase of bus, train and Park & Ride season tickets. I use this loan scheme to purchase my annual rail season ticket, repayable in monthly instalments from my salary, which helps spread the cost."
"Through my employment at Oxford University I am able to have an annual buss pas for my daily route to work from Witney. This means that my fare is at a reduced rate as the university pays the fee up-front and then takes a monthly amount from my pay. The bus is a convenient way to get to work, and the bus lane makes it quicker than getting stuck in the usual traffic. I avoid any hassle of parking, and there is time to read, chat and make friends, plus I’m doing my bit for the environment by taking public transport instead of driving."
"I love the idea of cycling to work but I am a nervous cyclist and my route would involve some intimidating roads. I've started using the University's scheme to allow me 6 hours of free one-to-one cycle training with Broken Spoke to help me build my confidence. I'm not there yet but I'm on my way!"