Currently seconded to the Department of Economics as Interim Head of Administration and Finance
Sophie Gibbons joined the Department as Head of Administration and Finance in December 2016 with over 15 years’ business management experience in the private, public and 3rd sectors. Most recently, she worked as the Business Manager for the Children’s Social Care and Youth Justice Service for Oxfordshire County Council, heading up an award-winning management team.
Sophie has expertise in change management, organisational transformation and team building and is a member of the AUA and CIPD.
In her role as Head of Administration and Finance, Sophie works closely with the Head of Department and Social Sciences Divisional Staff. She has built a network that includes senior University staff, Heads of Administration and Finance within and external to the Social Sciences Division and collaboration colleagues in other HE institutions in South Africa.
Along with the Head of Department, Sophie has responsibility for providing strategic leadership in relation to policy, planning, development, growth and sustainability.
Leading a team of operational managers and professional staff, Sophie has overall responsibility of all aspects of non-academic administration, including the following:
- Human Resources
- Budgets and financial control
- Research grant applications, pre and post-award grant management
- Recruitment and retention
- Health and safety and security
- Academic administration
- IT and communications
- Building and events management
- Disability and Mental Health Lead (Staff and Students)
- Athena SWAN Administrative Lead
- Director of Oxford Research South Africa
Departmental Committee membership
- Executive Committee
- Graduate Studies Committee
- IT Committee
- Graduate Joint Consultative Committee
- Research Strategy Group
Divisional/University committee membership
- Core Upgrade Project Board
- HR Futures: HR Business Process Review
- Focus Implementation Group
- Divisional Equality & Diversity Steering Group
You can contact Sophie Gibbons's PA on 01865 280321 or by email.