The Department of Social Policy and Intervention is a multidisciplinary centre of excellence for research in social policy and the development and systematic evaluation of social interventions.
Within the Department, our research is organised around two main units:
- The Centre for Evidence-Based Intervention (CEBI)
- The Oxford Institute of Social Policy (OISP)
We are committed to conducting research to inform policymaking and practice in the realm of social welfare. Our research is multi-disciplinary in approach, and often international in reach. We have numerous comparative research projects as well as many studies focused on particular countries. Although our expertise is mainly on the advanced economies, we have a growing volume of research on developing countries.
Our research contributes both to academic knowledge and debates as well as to policy and practice, and we have had a significant impact on policy debate, formulation and implementation around the globe, as well as secondary impact on people’s wellbeing.
In the most recent evaluation of university research in the UK (REF 2014), 79% of our research activity was classified as world-leading. This was the highest score of any department at Oxford and across the United Kingdom. In the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 we ranked second overall in Social Policy and Administration. The full table can be viewed here.
Key elements of our strategy to deliver international research excellence are:
- building expertise by strategic recruitment and investment to consolidate and develop research strengths in specific areas;
- emphasising methodological excellence and innovation at the macro and micro level;
- engaging in international and collaborative research
- strengthening our capacities in evaluation research and international comparative analysis.
If you are interested in becoming an Academic Visitor at our Department, please read these guidelines carefully. If you believe you fulfil the criteria but do not have a sponsor in the Department, please complete this form.