Erdem Yörük is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology at Koç University. He is the principle investigator of the ERC project entitled “The New Politics of Welfare: Towards an “Emerging Markets” Welfare State Regime” (https://emw.ku.edu.tr/), which aims to identify a new welfare regime in emerging market economies and explain why it has emerged. The project analyses Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, South Africa and Turkey to test two hypotheses: (i) emerging market economies are forming a new welfare regime that differs from liberal, corporatist and social democratic welfare regimes of the global north on the basis of extensive and decommodifying social assistance programmes, (ii) the new welfare regime emerges principally as a response to the growing political power of the poor as a dual source of threat and support for governments.
In March 2020, Erdem Yörük was awarded the European Commission Horizon 2020 Twinning Action Grant for the Koç University proposal "Building the Future: Excelling in Computational and Quantitative Social Sciences in Turkey".
Erdem Yörük holds a PhD from the Department of Sociology at Johns Hopkins University (2012), an MA in Sociology and a BSc in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Boğaziçi University. His work focuses on social welfare and social policy, social movements, political sociology, and comparative and historical sociology. His work has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), Ford Foundation, European Commission Marie Curie CIG and ERC.
- Erdem Yörük, İbrahim Öker, Kerem Yıldırım, Burcu Yakut-Çakar (2019) The Variable Selection Problem in the Three Worlds of Welfare Literature, Social Indicators Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-019-02070-7
- Erdem Yörük, İbrahim Öker, Lara Şarlak (2019) Indigenous unrest and the contentious politics of social assistance in Mexico, World Development, Volume 123, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2019.104618
- Powell, M, Yörük, E, Bargu, A. (2019) Thirty years of the Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism: A review of reviews. Soc Policy Admin. 2019; 1– 28. https://doi.org/10.1111/spol.12510
- Martin Powell and Erdem Yoruk (2017) 'Straddling two continents and beyond three worlds? The case of Turkey’s welfare regime'; New Perspectives on Turkey, https://doi.org/10.1017/npt.2017.30
- Ergin Bulut, Erdem Yörük (2017) 'Digital Populism: Trolls and Political Polarization of Twitter in Turkey'; International Journal of Comuncation, http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/6702
- Erdem Yörük and Onur Günay (Under review) "“Islamist Movements and Ethnic Politics”", World Politics
- Erdem Yörük and Alvaro Comin (Under review) "“Social and political polarization in the developing world: a comparative study on Brazil and Turkey”", Third World Quarterly
- Erdem Yörük (2017) "“Radical Democracy and Ethnic Politics in Turkey”", Paul Gray ed.,From the Streets to the State: Changing the World By Taking Power,. SUNY
- Erdem Yörük (2017) "“Neoliberal Hegemonya ve Tabana Dayalı Siyaset: İslamcı Hareket ve Kürt Hareketi”,", Akca, I., A.Bekmen, and B.A. Ozden ed.,Politics and Hegemony in the Post-1980 Turkey,. İletişim Yayınları
- Erdem Yörük and Eske Van Gils (2017) "“The World Bank and social assistance in developing and transition countries: Taking stock of the political agenda”,", Current Sociology 65: 1
- Erdem Yörük, Arzucan Özgür and Çağıl Uluşahin (2016) "“Towards Building a Political Protest Database to Explain Changes in the Welfare State”,", Language Technology for Cultural Heritage, Social Sciences, and Humanities
- Erdem Yörük and Murat Yüksel (2015) "“Gezi eylemlerinin toplumsal dinamikleri”,", Toplum ve Bilim 133
- Erdem Yörük and Murat Yüksel (2014) "Class and Politics in Gezi Protests in Turkey", New Left Review 89
- Erdem Yörük (2014) "Brazil, Turkey: Emerging Markets, Emerging Riots”,", Anthony Alessandrini,Nazan Üstündağ, and Emrah Yildiz ed.,Resistance Everywhere: The Gezi Protests and Dissident Visions of Turkey,. Tadween Press
- Erdem Yörük (2014) "The Long Summer of Turkey: The Gezi Uprising and Its Historical Roots", South Atlantic Quarterly 113: 2
- Erdem Yörük (2014) "“The Making and Unmaking of Neo-liberal Hegemony in Turkey”,", Akca, I., A. Bekmen, and B.A. Ozden ed.,Politics and Hegemony in the Post-1980 Turkey.. Pluto Press
- Erdem Yörük and Hişyar Özsoy (2013) "Shifting forms of Turkish state paternalism toward the Kurds: social assistance as benevolent control", Dialectical Anthropology, 37
- Erdem Yörük (2013) "O longo verão da Turquia: entendendo o levante Gezi", Novos Estudos November
- Erdem Yörük (2012) "“Welfare Provision as Political Containment: The Politics of Social Assistance and the Kurdish Conflict in Turkey”,", Politics and Society 40
- Erdem Yörük (2009) "“Labor Discipline in the Informal Economy: The Semi-formal Professional Code of Istanbul’s Urban Apparel Factory”,", Berkeley Journal of Sociology 54